Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:40:33 +1200
From:      Rob Ward <wards@paradise.net.nz>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installation problems...

Hi. I have tried to install FreeBSD about 8 times without great success.
So finally I have written this email as suggested in the FreeBSD handbook.

I have a Conpaq Deskpro Celeron 1100 with Abit motherboard. This MB has
integrated graphics and sound, based around the Intel i815 chipset.

I have sucessfully installed Caldera Linux on this system and both the
sound and video work, although the audio seemed to work properly only
when logged in as root.  XFree does indeed support this PC's video card,
and the FreeBSD documentation I have read also indicates it should work.

Anyway, the problems so far are these...

1. A fresh install of FBSD, installing ALL packages, works ok in text
mode. I then follow the FBSD handbook section 5.4.3.1 and modify the
/boot/loader.conf file. Then cd /dev...then sh MAKEDEV agpgart. I did
NOT do the Option "NoDDC".

2. I reboot and login fine. If I now type XFree86 (as described under
section 5.4.2 of the FBSD manual, I find that XFree86 is not found. So I
goes ok, and the new path is modified to now include /usr/X11R6/bin but
still I cannot run XFree86 as described in 5.4.2. If I type ./XFree86,
then it runs. (Just typing XFree86 still does not work - seems to need
./XFree86)

2. Next I type ./XFree86 -configure as in 5.4.2 and the screen goes
black, and about 10 seconds later, the PC reboots.

3. At this point I ask for assistance...

4. On one of my previous installation attempts, I did manage to get KDE
to start, but the resolution was about 320*200. After reading
newsgroups, I am directed to the Intel website where I find the reason
for the low resolution os that there is no memory on the 815, but rather
it uses system memory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob Ward (New Zealand)