Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:06:30 +0100
From:      Matthias Schmidt <schmidtm@mathematik.uni-marburg.de>
To:        freebsd@meijome.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What laptop do you recommend?

Hi,

* freebsd@meijome.net wrote:
> hi everyone,
> I'm looking for a new, gruntier laptop. What laptop is known to work
> WELL with freeBSD? e.g.:

My personal favorite is an IBM Thinkpad Laptop.  I have a Thinkpad T43
and T23 and both models run FreeBSD 6.0.  Have a look at my
Thinkpad+FreeBSD page:

	http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~schmidtm/ibm/

> ACPI with no problems (and as many features as possible)

ACPI events, Suspend2Ram, acpi_ibm, SpeedStep work fine.

> PATA / SATA with no problems

The SATA controller (Intel ICH6) of the T43 works flawlessly.

> all other basic stuff (graphics, NIC, Wireless g, sound,
> touchpad ,etc ) should work too, of course

* Athereos Wireless (a/b/g) with ath(4)
* Broadcom Ethernet with bge(4)
* sound-chip with snd_ich(4)
* ATI Radeoon with Xorg 6.8 (no DRM support at the moment)
* Cardbus support works

	Matthias