Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:28:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, David Greenman wrote:

> >Pentium 75Mhz with 16MB of RAM.  We had been in contact with Paul Berggren
> >in Sales for CRL Networking and he said that we can get a T1 router for as
> >low as $650 but what kind of router would it be?
>
>    You'll have to ask him.

	I have a feeling it won't be a Cisco for sure <G>

> >FreeBSD+card?  As I understand it, you're the contact for the networking
> >at Walnut Creek,
>
>    Yes, that is correct.

	Good.

> > we were wondering what are your experiences with CRL and
> >how good is their peering with other ISPs?  Thanks.  Hope someone else who
> >has the FreeBSD+card can share their experiences with us.
>
>    They have very good peering. Their backbone was overloaded, but they've
> made some changes to mitigate the problem until some additional long-haul DS3
> circuits are installed. They have major networking facilities in both San
> Francisco and DC with 45Mbit/sec connections to most of the major NAPs.

	From the information they sent me, I had an impression they had a
100MBps ATM backbone and the connections between the major NAps were ATM
as well.  So it's really DS3 or did they just do yet another upgrade?

>    This is not to say that things have been completely rosey. CRL didn't have
> "direct" peering with Sprint until just a month ago, and they didn't have a
> fiber/gigaswitch connection at MAE-east until just a week or so ago (it was
> previously just 10Mbit ethernet). Their backbone still sucks and I was seeing
> >75% packet loss on it as recently as last week. They don't connect to the
> Chicago or NY NAPs ("only" MAE-east, MAE-west, PB-NAP, and CIX SMDS).

	Hmmm okay....  Atleast it seems they are way better from the
sounds of it than our current provider PBI.Net which uses AGIS.Net as the
backbone and refuses to peer with anyone.  I guess from what you are
saying, it seems like they are a company that atleast is upgrading as time
goes on.  As for the >75% packet loss on their backbone, which sites for
example were you connecting to?  SprintLink is even worst after all the
Northern UC Campuses went into a SMDS cloud and out one DS3 to their
Stockton hub, we've been getting 95% packet loss after the switch from
BBNPlanet to SprintLink 2 weeks ago.  Thanks for the info though.  We've
been doing our research and found that MCI, Sprint, PBI/AGIS are the ones
to stay away from.

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin