Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:22:26 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        "new.xs4all.nl" <kapteyn@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting KDE and so on

"new.xs4all.nl" wrote:

> Hey guys,
> looking at your answers I derive, that teh real prblem is somewhere else:
> probably a faulty distribution.
> Therfore, things get fucked up and I cannot use freebsd. alas.

Not totally unheard of. I first tried FreeBSD with 3.2 from a CD
purchased from LinuxMall (six distros for six dollars, I couldn't
resist). Unfortunately, the CD had a bad package index, forcing me to
use ports to compile *everything* from scratch. Then the official
FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE had a sysinstall bug that they quickly fixed, but I
was still stuck with it :-(

However, I don't think the problem is a faulty distribution. Probably
just a bad configuration somewhere. Can you run other X window managers?
Will twm start if you get rid of your .xinitrc? Did you have problems
configuring X with XF86Setup or xf86config?

David