Date:      Sun, 09 May 1999 13:07:03 +1000
From:      Gavan McCormack <tetragon@bitey.cyber.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS question..

John Baldwin wrote:
> You can give a list of directories to be exported, but all directories for a
> /usr \
> All of these directories are in the filesystem /usr, and the computer foo can
> only mount /usr, /usr/source/src, /usr/obj, /usr/source/ports, and

So what you are saying then, is that I am right in assuming that FreeBSD cannot
export (in your case) anything under /usr, without /usr itself.

Sorry if I sound terse, but I do realise that I can list specific dirs under
a filesystem to export if I do export the entire filesystem. My issue is that
I dont want to export the root of the filesystem (/, in my case) to the remote
machine, just to have a directory underneath it exported. (/usr/home, in my
case.)

I have been hearing around that NFSv3 is the only 'good' NFS, and so far no
free Unixen have v3 implemented yet. I guess we will just have to wait.. :/
For the record tho, the SYSV-ish NFSd on Linux can export individual
directories however. (But has other problems too.)