Date:      Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:39:37 -0500
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net>
To:        <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 92, Issue 59

> Hi have an IDE drive (bit old) that is starting to develop bad blocks.
>=20
> Is there a tool to scan the disk and reassign/block (I don't care
> loosing some space on that disk) the bad bocks?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Olivier

Unfortunately, most ATA drives automatically map spares as they detect =
bad
blocks. If the drive is reporting bad blocks, then the drive has very =
likely
run out of spares.

I would seriously consider swapping the drive, and copying your data =
before
the corruption gets any worse.

Of course, depending on the age of the disk, it might not automatically
remap bad blocks - so I would suggest looking for a diagnostic tool on =
the
manufacturer's web site. These usually involve a bootable CD or floppy =
disk.

Regards,
Seth Henry