Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 20:16:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
To:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
Cc:        "chat@freebsd.org" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, Geir Eivind Mork <gemork@online.no>
Subject:   Re: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD?  :-)

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Francisco Reyes wrote:

 : >I'm a user of FreeBSD (a quite new one too),
 : I have seen several OS/2 users using/switching to FreeBSD (I am one
 : of them).

I think that a lot of us got to this point through one common
factor--frustration with Microsoft Windows (in its various incarnations).
It's shortcomings were so obvious to me, I looked to the next best thing
that would allow me to maintain some continuity.  At the time, that was
OS/2, due to its high level of Windows 3.1 compatibility.

Of course, as IBM demonstrated repeatedly that they weren't interested in
waging a serious battle over the desktop, I concluded that OS/2 was going
the way of the Amiga and that it was time to move on.  By this point, the
free Unix systems (namely Linux and FreeBSD) had matured to a point of
being ready for serious use by someone who didn't want to write kernel
patches.

Of course, history seems to indicate that the great technology is doomed
to fail.  (See preceding paragraph.)  Let's just hope that never comes to
pass with FreeBSD.

K.S.