Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:32:17 +1200
From:      Jamie Walker <jj.walker@auckland.ac.nz>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        Jamie Walker <jj.walker@auckland.ac.nz>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Just an observation - MUA's seen in the lists

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 02:45:32AM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:

> That's simply not true.  There may be some people who "have a hatred
> of anything Linux." but I've never met one.  If you look around, I think
> you'll find that any serious advocates neither condemn or exhode hatred
> towards any other operating systems.  Of course there are the "Linux
> Sucks"-kiddies, but they and their ilk exist within any community.  They
> are by no means representative of the community.

Indeed not, but I personally tire of the way many in the community feel
the need to measure themselves against Linux. I'm a Linux user as well as
a FreeBSD user, and if I want to read about Linux there are any number of
Linux mailing lists I can read. I don't need to see the regular references
on pretty much most of the mailing lists hosted by freebsd.org.

To my mind, -advocacy is a good place for comparisons, and the other
legitimate reason for posting to other lists is for questions like "In
Linux, I do XXX. How can I do the same in FreeBSD?"

The IRC channels are far worse; this is why I tend not to join them any
more.

--
Fone: +64-9-373-7599 x4679     Room: 2.315, E&EE Dept, School of Engineering
Work: jj.walker@auckland.ac.nz Home: jamiew@clear.net.nz