Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2022 22:00:37 +0000
From:      Taceant Omnes <taceant@gmail.com>
To:        David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12.3-R and environment variables

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 at 21:42, David Christensen
<dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> > If so the answer is that official packages for
> > 12.x are built on 12.2-RELEASE.
>

> That is unexpected.  I would expect the packages for 12.3-RELEASE to be
> built on 12.3-RELEASE.

Indeed for someone coming from the Linux world, and I tripped on that
too, I upgraded to the next minor version and the machine would not
boot due to some port. Ideally this would be mentioned prominently
somewhere, if it is already so I have not seen it. One way to avoid
this issue is to upgrade to the next minor version a few days after
the previous goes EOL, by which time the ports will hopefully have all
been rebuilt for the new version. Another way to avoid the issue is
not to use packages and instead use ports.