Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:57:49 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Kuzak <kuzak@kuzak.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd DoS

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Why don't you add a suitable network route entry for the 2nd IP and make the
> problem go away?

Been there, done that. Alas. See reply to Rodney for details. If do you
spot a likely permutation I missed, by all means. See also the archives
for records of most permutations I've tried.

Roelof

PS all the examples of successful aliased IP addresses I've come across
were in the same subnet. Mine is not <g>

PPS Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, you might like to know:

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    pfcs.com
Address:  208.244.164.247

> set type=mx
> pfcs.com
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find pfcs.com: Non-existent host/domain

> set type=mx
> pfcs.com gatekeeper.dec.com
Server:  gatekeeper.dec.com
Address:  204.123.2.2

*** gatekeeper.dec.com can't find pfcs.com: Non-existent host/domain

> pfcs.com neptune.innovativeinternet.com
Server:  neptune.innovativeinternet.net
Address:  208.244.165.5
Aliases:  neptune.innovativeinternet.com

pfcs.com        preference = 120, mail exchanger =
neptune.innovativeinternet.com
pfcs.com        preference = 100, mail exchanger = harlan.fred.net
pfcs.com        preference = 110, mail exchanger = harlan.clark.net
pfcs.com        nameserver = neptune.innovativeinternet.com
harlan.fred.net internet address = 208.238.64.78
harlan.clark.net        internet address = 168.143.4.100

Looks like you're there, but not yet here <g>

--
Dog's house at http://cairni.com/