Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:39:14 +1100 (EST)
From:      Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Finally got ports rebuilt!

Well, almost; just a few rough edges to smooth over.

Background: after upgrading to 10.3 from 9.3, I then attacked the
long-neglected ports area.  Now, I sort of inherited this installation,
and having an engineering background i.e. "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it".  Just so you know where I come from, I also have 40+ years of Unix
experience across a wide range of platforms; FreeBSD is my first, although
I used SunOS and BSDi for many years, so I'm hardly new to BSD. I was
scrupulous about installing various security fixes, however...

So...

There appears to be circular dependencies involving libiconv and libxslt,
which I resolved by installing them by hand.

All sorts of things want the Ruby bloatware (it won't build on my box)
so I installed it as a package.

Riding shotgun for most of the night (yawn...), some things kept wanting
to build LLVM (!), so I merely blew them away one by one (there's no way
that LLVM will build here); I doubt whether I'll miss them, but I can
always install them as packages if they're needed.

UUCP needed to be rebuilt?

And Apache, although installed from ports, was not selected to be rebuilt
for some reason.

Anyway, that's pretty much it; many thanks to David Wolfskill and Tijl
Coosemans for their kind assistance, and to the list members for their
forbearance as I went through this learning exercise; I promise to keep
ports up to date in the future.

Thanks again.