Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:38:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bzip2 in src tree

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	Can't we do both?  Use gzip on the install floppy, but include
> bzip2 in /usr/src, and make sure that all the various programs that
> deal with tarballs and gzip'ed tarballs can also deal with bzip2
> tarballs (including in the ports system)?
>
> 	I mean, if it's in /usr/src, and we have both gzip & bzip2
> installed on the system, it's up to the user to choose which they
> prefer and use most of the time, right?

The obvious solution (and arguably, the Right Thing) is to merge the
functionality into one utility.  This makes everyone happy and is less
painful than explicitily including both.

<hate target="GNU" reason="It makes me more popular with the ladies.">
	And if one were anti-GPL, they'd start with the bzip2 sources and
	modify them to call zlib so that gzip can be kicked out but it's
	entire funcionality replaced with a more freely licensed utility.
</hate>

:)

Jamie