Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2006 05:41:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      <pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>, Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is anyone working on a port of ZFS to FreeBSD

--- Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> ha scritto:

> ZFS surely is cool, but I'm not sure how much it benefits FreeBSD
> compared to something like journaling, or adding features to our
> existing filesystem, or even write support for one of the already ported
> read-only filesystems we have (like XFS, or reiserfs).

I'm afraid adding write support to XFS or reiserfs is not easy, and then
there's the license issue. ZFS might not have the best license either but we
can work with it. Apple's updated HFS license is also something that could be
worked with but Apple is interested in ZFS too so it must have something
interesting ;-).

NetBSD has a Journalling Google SoC, definitely interesting if they get far.

    Pedro.