Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:15:01 +0200
From:      Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org, www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADSUP: Translations of our documentations

Dear Folks,

I'm writing this mail to get your attention about the importance of our
documentation projects. We tend to neglect the importance of the
translation projects, thinking that the majority of our users speaks the
English language well and does not need any documents in other
languages. It is not really true, though. Expert users tend to speak
English well, but nowadays the UNIX-like systems are not limited to
expensive servers and workstations because they can serve as a cheap and
efficient replacement for the commercial desktop operating systems, too.
FreeBSD also aims to be a multi-purpose operating system and its derived
projects, PC-BSD and DesktopBSD are especially designed for desktop
users. There are ongoing efforts to make FreeBSD easier to install so
that everybody can install it on his own desktop system. Apart from
this, it is also necessary to provide more language support for those,
who don't speak English so well. Furthermore, the user basis what we can
get by providing better language support will thank us the effort; don't
forget that contributors will grow up from users and committers will
grow up from contributors. Summarizing this, language support is
demanded, useful and shows up as an "added value" of a software product.

If you translate, it is not only useful for the project, but useful for
you. Let's see what you get if you start translating documents. First of
all, you get respect. Users will say thanks to you and will respect you
for what you have done for them. Secondly, there's no better translator
reference than a published translation on a website of such a well-known
and respected product, like FreeBSD. It is something that you can make
use of, that you can present in your CV as a working experience of a
translator. Thirdly, FreeBSD uses a well-designed infrastructure of its
documentation using technologies and standards, like SGML, XML, XSLT,
HTML, DocBook, DSSSL, CSS. Using these tools to design infrastructures
to develop technical documentation is an independent profession, which
is called Documentation Engineer. At the first sight, this markup might
seem complicated and difficult to you, but if you are committed enough,
you can get some knowledge of it, which is again, something like that
you can make use of in your career.

So, what do you think? Do you feel like translating? If so, you need to
find out how to start out. If there is an existing documentation project
for your language, refer to the appropriate link on the translators page
to get the details about joining:
http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/translations.html

If there's no such project yet, you can refer to the doc@FreeBSD.org
mailing list for further information. I'm also happy to give a helping
hand to new volunteers wanting to join the project. There is also a wiki
page set up for the translation project with general information:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/DocTranslationProjects

Thanks for your attention and I'm looking further to your comments and
suggestions.

Regards,
Gábor Kövesdán