Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 1997 20:54:36 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New cheap soundcard for 3.0-current machine

Nathan Dorfman scribbled this message on Dec 25:
> Hi! I have a machine running 3.0-current and nothing else (a 4G
> dangerously dedicated disk). I want to buy myself a cheap soundcard
> (SB16-style quality is fine) that I can actually configure without
> running a config program under DOS as with the SB16. Jumper cards
> aren't made anymore so anything that is set to a known default that
> or is detectable would be great. Any ideas?

well...  you could go with a cs4237 based sound card.. or something
similar...  they actually provide much better quality than sb16 boards
at a fraction of the price...  I sell them for $24 + shipping...  also
OPTi boards are suppose to be good, but I haven't ever used 'em...

since you are using -current, using Luigi's sound drivers and the PnP
code won't be a problem...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD