Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Young <jyoung@accessus.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/17712: Some outside networks are unable to resolve the a ddresses listed in DNS server running on the server.

The following reply was made to PR i386/17712; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jason Young <jyoung@accessus.net>
To: "'freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>,
	"'rajeshn@cybertech.com'" <rajeshn@cybertech.com>
Subject: Re: i386/17712: Some outside networks are unable to resolve the a
	ddresses listed in DNS server running on the server.
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:04:21 -0500

 This might be an outdated problem for you now, but I thought I'd put my two
 cents in on the PR..

 Problem 1: tiki.theeddy.com (NS #3 for cybertech-usa.com and cssl-usa.com
 according to Network Solutions) isn't responding to nameservice queries at
 the moment.

 > server tiki.theeddy.com
 Default Server:  tiki.theeddy.com
 Address:  204.186.117.1

 > cybertech-usa.com
 Server:  tiki.theeddy.com
 Address:  204.186.117.1

 *** tiki.theeddy.com can't find cybertech-usa.com: No response from server

 Problem 2: tiki.theeddy.com isn't listed by dns.cssl-usa.com as an NS for
 cybertech-usa.com. This probably isn't critical, especially given #1.

 Problem 3: cybil.theeddy.com can't look up any addresses in cssl-usa.com,
 which is probably fairly bad for you. This is likely the source of your
 'sometimes' problems, since the world will randomly pick one of the listed
 nameservers for cssl-usa.com, only one of which works (see #1).

 [snippage]

    Domain Name: CSSL-USA.COM

    Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
       Glamb, Larry  (LG242)  tes@THEEDDY.COM
       TheEddy Services
       P.O. Box 36
       Upper Black Eddy, PA 18972
       610 791 9931 (FAX) 610 791 9931
    Billing Contact:
       Network Administrator  (NA177-ORG)  network@CT-YARDLEY.COM
       CyberTech International
       CyberTech International Corp.
       Attn L. Glamb
       Eight Neshaminy Interplex, Suite 209
       Trevose, PA 19053
       US
       215 244 5000
       Fax- 215 244 5099

    Record last updated on 22-Oct-1997.
    Record expires on 05-Jul-2000.
    Record created on 04-Jul-1997.
    Database last updated on 18-Apr-2000 04:35:42 EDT.

    Domain servers in listed order:

    DNS.CSSL-USA.COM             151.197.92.24
    CYBIL.THEEDDY.COM            151.197.92.27
    TIKI.THEEDDY.COM             204.186.117.1

 earth> nslookup
 Default Server:  dns1.anet-stl.com
 Address:  209.145.150.10

 > server cybil.theeddy.com
 Default Server:  cybil.theeddy.com
 Address:  151.197.92.27

 > set query=any
 > cssl-usa.com
 Server:  cybil.theeddy.com
 Address:  151.197.92.27

 *** cybil.theeddy.com can't find cssl-usa.com: Server failed

 In summary, this isn't really a FreeBSD problem, and the FreeBSD PR should
 be closed. I'd be happy to provide any other assistance I can outside this
 forum, though.

 Jason Young
 Access US(tm) Chief Network Engineer