Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:23:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Frank Tobin <ftobin@bigfoot.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Enabling bpf device in kernel (was: Re: tcpdump)

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Dan Langille wrote:

> Given that, I strongly support what Kenneth just said.  Unless of course
> someone can show me how I could have installed DHCP without CDs and on a
> standalone computer?

Given all this talk about DHCP has raised a few questions in my mind about
why we need bpf for DHCP, when by spec DHCP is supposed to be backwards
compatible with BootP, and bpf is not needed for BootP.  Am I missing
something here?  I myself using BootP to connect to a DHCP server, and
I don't have bpf installed.  Please forgive the simplicity of this
question.

--

Frank Tobin			"To learn what is good and what is to be
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ftobin	 valued, those truths which cannot be

If you use Pine and PGP 5.0(i), try pgpenvelope.
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ftobin/resources.html