Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 13:21:07 +0200
From:      Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for Symbios vs. Adaptect SCSI

In lists.freebsd.hardware you write:

>You recently made the following remark on freebsd-hardware:

>> The Adaptec chips are generally better supported in
>> FreeBSD and I wouldn't consider anything else for systems that I build.

[...]

>Do you mean:

>	1) Has fewer bugs?
>	2) Makes better use of the hardware capabilities?
>	3) Has a maintainer who is willing/able to devote
>           more time to the task?

>Are there specific deficiencies in the drivers for the Symbios cards
>that cause you to recommend against them?

In that vein a question:

Has anybody managed to use either a DDS Drive (I have tried Sony and HP)
and/or a CD changer (I tried a NAKAMICH MJ-5.16S) with *any* Adaptec
PCI controller without having to disable disconnect/reconnect in the
adapter setup for those targets?

I've tried to no avail, the system didn't even get up to the boot prompt in
most of the cases/combinations I've tried so far which leads me to guess at
problems with the Adaptecs themselves rather than the FreeBSD drivers.

Disabling disconnect/reconnect stops the hangs but then one has a blocked
SCSI bus while one of those devices does any operation. This can get quite
annoying if e.g. a CD gets changed, causing a 5 second block on all
disk activity :-(

On the other hand, each and every NCR/Symbios controller I've used supported
all devices with disconnect/reconnect enabled just fine.

These days I hang the disks on Adaptecs and put slow devices on a separate
Symbios if I get the chance.

Michael

--
\|/