Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:57:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/32111: cleanup on deinstalling ports section

>Number:         32111
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       cleanup on deinstalling ports section
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

today's -doc tree

Bunch of stupid little things.

1) "The next few paragraphs will cover just that."  No, really?  I
thought that this section was titled "Removing Installed Ports"
because it discussed the Project's attempts to crossbreed elephants
and kangaroos.

2) Don't insult the reader's attention span twice in one paragraph.
Once is entirely sufficient.  (I always recommend insulting the reader
about different things within a single paragraph.)

3) "managed to remove" is a bit strong.  The Ports Teams makes this
fairly easy, and if typing two words is "managing" to do something
then logging in must be a challenge.

4) Add mention of using pkg_delete to uninstall ports after a make
clean.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

*** en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports/chapter.sgml-dist	Mon Nov 19 13:21:05 2001
--- en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports/chapter.sgml	Mon Nov 19 13:46:51 2001
***************
*** 832,845 ****
        </indexterm>
        <para>Now that you know how to install ports, you are probably
          wondering how to remove them, just in case you install one and
! 	later on you decide that you installed the wrong port.  The next
! 	few paragraphs will cover just that.</para>
!
!       <para>Now we will remove our previous example (which was
  	<command>lsof</command> for
          those of you not paying attention).  As with installing ports,
  	the first thing you must do is change to the port directory,
- 	which if you remember was
  	<filename>/usr/ports/irc/lsof</filename>.  After you change
  	directories, you are ready to uninstall <command>lsof</command>.
  	This is done with
--- 832,842 ----
        </indexterm>
        <para>Now that you know how to install ports, you are probably
          wondering how to remove them, just in case you install one and
! 	later on you decide that you installed the wrong port.
!         We will remove our previous example (which was
  	<command>lsof</command> for
          those of you not paying attention).  As with installing ports,
  	the first thing you must do is change to the port directory,
  	<filename>/usr/ports/irc/lsof</filename>.  After you change
  	directories, you are ready to uninstall <command>lsof</command>.
  	This is done with
***************
*** 849,859 ****
  &prompt.root; <userinput>make deinstall</userinput>
  ===&gt;  Deinstalling for lsof-4.57</screen>

!       <para>That was easy enough.  You have now managed to remove
  	<command>lsof</command>
          from your system.  If you would like to reinstall it, you can do
  	so by running <command>make reinstall</command> from the
      </sect2>
    </sect1>

--- 846,863 ----
  &prompt.root; <userinput>make deinstall</userinput>
  ===&gt;  Deinstalling for lsof-4.57</screen>

!       <para>That was easy enough.  You have removed
  	<command>lsof</command>
          from your system.  If you would like to reinstall it, you can do
  	so by running <command>make reinstall</command> from the
+
+         reinstall</command> sequence does not work once you have run
+         <command>make clean</command>.  If you want to deinstall a
+         port after cleaning, use <command>pkg_delete</command> as
+         discussed in the <link linkend="packages-using">Packages
+         section of the Handbook</link>.</para>
      </sect2>
    </sect1>