Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2017 22:23:43 -0700
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        "FreeBSD wireless" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How well is the Atheros 9287 supported?

I got the feeling from all my research that this PCIe NIC
was pretty well supported. So went out and got one. I even
wen so far as to compile all the necessary bits into my kernel

FreeBSD . 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0 r316389:
Sun Apr 2 20:12:40 PDT 2017 amd64

According to dmesg(8):
ath0: <Atheros 9287> mem 0xfe300000-0xfe30ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci3
ath0: RX timestamp: 32 bits
ath0: TX timestamp: 32 bits
ath0: [HT] enabling HT modes
ath0: [HT] enabling short-GI in 20MHz mode
ath0: [HT] 1 stream STBC receive enabled
ath0: [HT] 1 stream STBC transmit enabled
ath0: [HT] 2 RX streams; 2 TX streams
ath0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
ath0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps
36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
ath0: 2T2R
ath0: 11ng MCS 20MHz
ath0: MCS 0-7: 6.5Mbps - 65Mbps
ath0: MCS 8-15: 13Mbps - 130Mbps
ath0: 11ng MCS 20MHz SGI
ath0: MCS 0-7: 7Mbps - 72Mbps
ath0: MCS 8-15: 14.5Mbps - 144.5Mbps
ath0: 11ng MCS 40MHz:
ath0: MCS 0-7: 13.5Mbps - 135Mbps
ath0: MCS 8-15: 27Mbps - 270Mbps
ath0: 11ng MCS 40MHz SGI:
ath0: MCS 0-7: 15Mbps - 150Mbps
ath0: MCS 8-15: 30Mbps - 300Mbps
ath0: AR9287 mac 384.2 RF5133 phy 15.15
ath0: 2GHz radio: 0x0000; 5GHz radio: 0x00c0
ath0: Use hw queue 1 for WME_AC_BE traffic
ath0: Use hw queue 0 for WME_AC_BK traffic
ath0: Use hw queue 2 for WME_AC_VI traffic
ath0: Use hw queue 3 for WME_AC_VO traffic
ath0: Use hw queue 8 for CAB traffic
ath0: Use hw queue 9 for beacons
ath0: using multicast key search

I should be good to go. I am currently attempting to use this
as an AP. Following the man pages, and the handbook. I can
accomplish most of this via hostapd(8). But using only the
necessary bits from the
/usr/share/examples/hostapd/hostapd.conf proved otherwise --

Starting hostapd.
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf
bsd_set_if_media: SIOCSIFMEDIA Device not configured
bsd_init: failed to set operation mode
bsd driver initialization failed.
wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->DISABLED
wlan0: AP-DISABLED
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface wlan0 wasn't started
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=5 eloop_data=0x801c78000 user_data=0x0
handler=0x41b240
/etc/rc.d/hostapd: WARNING: failed to start hostapd

Even tho the wlan0 interface was created in rc.conf successfully.
Based on the hardware specs listed from dmesg above. How can I set
this up as an AP with the fastest throughput? I'm on a half acre,
and will be using this for all my "indoor" stuff, and maybe the
garage. I think I've got dnsmasq && pf setup well enough for it
already. I just can't get the thing to work so they can work with
it. Please help. I'll happily provide any additional information
needed.

Thanks!

--Chris