Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2006 21:04:55 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: System panic under load (additional information)

--R9b51G30WkD62Ue3

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 09:22:43AM -0700, Micah wrote:
> Kostik Belousov wrote:
> >I saw several similar reports.
> >
> >Please, submit me the output of the "print *mp" in the same frame.
> >Also, I'm interested in kernel config.=20
> >
> >Is the problem reproducible ?
>=20
> It seems now that any time I compile openoffice the system will=20
> eventually panic. Other disk intensive jobs, like my nightly photo-album=
=20
> update, may or may not trigger it. I currently have two dumps for=20
> 6.1p10. I thought this might be failing hardware because the system has=
=20
> worked fine for nearly a year, but the fact that it panics on the same=20
> line of code every time makes me wonder.

I'm very suspicious to the claim of failing hw since trace is the same all
times (is this true) ? This looks like memory corruption.

First, I would recommend to update to RELENG_6 due to a number of VFS fixes.
Second, could you set kern.maxvnodes in the /boot/loader.conf ? Check the
value choosen by kernel by "sysctl  kern.maxvnodes", and then set it
to the 2/3 of the reported number and reboot.

If I not gather any useful info from that action, I most likely provide you
with debugging patch.

--
Kostik Belousov.

--R9b51G30WkD62Ue3