Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 2002 13:35:27 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>, Aaron Namba <aaron@namba1.com>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RE: Is FreeBSD's tar susceptible to this?

At 01:28 PM 10/1/2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>   In our case, we have a simple recourse for 'tar' if the the gnu/tar
>    people are unable to stabilize their final product.  We find a fairly
>    stable version and we fork it in our tree.

I agree. And while folks are correct that licensing is not the only issue
here, why not take the opportunity to adopt something BSD-licensed instead?
At the same time, it would be possible to integrate bzip instead of invoking
it as a separate process. This would make it more efficient when we go to
bzip for ports and packages.

--Brett