Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 17:54:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian Szymanski" <brian.szymanski@cornell.edu>
To:        kory@avatar.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EIDE Drive Errors - Please Help!

Ouch. I don't envy your situation. Those IBM Deskstar hard drives got rave
reviews as being "the fastest EIDE hard drives ever," but apparently they
tend to fall apart after a couple of months. I came close to buying one
before by chance I happened to read some customer opinions of the product
in which 75% of them said that it was "a great product if it only would
f****ing work", see:

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1092-418-1664463.html?tag=st.co.1092-
404-1664463.urev.1092-418-1664463

If at all possible, get a new hard drive and install on that ASAP. With
EIDE drives, quality is pretty variable (but very good on certain
products). I've had no trouble with my Maxtor, but YMMV.