Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2018 23:36:44 -0700
From:      Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca>
To:        Ian Zimmerman <itz@very.loosely.org>
Subject:   Re: packages vs ports, do they conflict?

So long as you don=E2=80=99t change the configuration defaults it probably w=
on=E2=80=99t make a difference, and the eventual install of any dependencies=
 already installed should fail gracefully. Maybe...  I=E2=80=99m also not su=
re if default port configs are guaranteed to be the same configs used to bui=
ld pkgs though.=20

I have to install a couple apps on my server from ports because of non-defau=
lt configuration options that are needed. I flag them in pkg to leave alone w=
hen I =E2=80=9Cpkg upgrade=E2=80=9D, then I update them manually. It might b=
e a bigger deal if I had lots of apps to install as ports, or lots of server=
s, but it=E2=80=99s ok as-is for me.

Cheers,
Dale