Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:31:23 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buildworld and installworld

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:03:57PM +0300, Maxim Konovalov wrote:
> freebsd-questions@ material.
>=20
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, 20:58+0200, Andrey Sharandakov wrote:
>=20
> > Hi!
> >
> > 1. How can I change default dir. for buildworld output?
> > (/ust/obj to /some_dir/obj)
>=20
> make MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=3D/some_dir/obj
>=20
WRONG!  While I've made the above work in -CURRENT, this still
doesn't work in RELENG_4 and shouldn't be relied upon.  From
<bsd.obj.mk>:

# MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX  Specifies somewhere other than /usr/obj to root the obj=
ect
#               tree.  Note: MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is an *environment* variable
#               and works properly only if set as an environment variable,
#               not as a global or command line variable!
#
#               E.g. use `env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=3D/somewhere/obj make'

Compare:

$ pwd
/tmp/foo/src
$ MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=3D/tmp/foo/obj make -f bsd.obj.mk -V .OBJDIR
/tmp/foo/obj/tmp/foo/src
$ make MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=3D/tmp/foo/obj -f bsd.obj.mk -V .OBJDIR
/tmp/foo/src

Passing MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX as a command line variable with ``buildworld''
only works because make(1) enters all command line variables in
environment before starting any subprocesses.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov
FreeBSD committer