Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:39:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bill@mindspring.com
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        small@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Extending md(4) to allow it use pre-compressed disk image

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

>...After that compressed image could be put
> into the floppy or other media, loaded using loader(8) and accessed
> through md(4) as usually. The only difference is that it is impossible
> to write into resulting disk.
>
> I would like to know if there is enough interest in integrating this
> feature into base system, please let me know what do you think about
> it.

A voice from Pico user, whose interest is in a shirt-pocket operating
system capable of dial-in and plugging into a network, asks
that as far as Pico is concerned what difference would it make?

As far as I have discovered, all bytes on the Pico disk are permanent
except for the ppp configuration.

Although Pico will mount msdos and ext2fs floppy disks, it constantly
complains when reading dos disks that it can't write to them because
they are write protected. (!) If I mount an ext2 disk Pico page-faults
as soon as I do an ls...

So, to clarify my question, assuming funtionality to be first
consideration and speed/memory secondary, and assuming also that
the mount problem would be fixed, within the size limitations of a
floppy, wouldn't this limitation of your feature have no big negative
effect for Pico?

I certainly appreciate all the work that has gone into the Pico project,
and only dip into it from time-to-time. And I am very glad to see that
things are moving forward.

-Bill Cassady