Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:41:15 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why no CDR ioctls for SCSI cds?

On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 10:54:49 -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> I'm curious - is there some reason that the CDR ioctls (in
> /usr/include/sys/cdrio.h) aren't supported for MMC cds? It looks like
> doing them for MMC would be straightforward, it's the kind of thing
> that an OS is supposed to do, and it would allow people with MMC
> drives to cdrecord for the much (much, *much*) smaller burncd.

Well, doing that sort of thing for MMC-compliant CD-Rs will open the door
to doing it for all CD-Rs.

We'd get a flood of mail saying things like "why isn't my froboz CD-R/WORM
supported with the cd(4) driver..."

cdrecord supports a much wider variety of drives out of the box, it is
actively supported, and it works.

If we put all of cdrecord's functionality into the kernel and burncd, it
would be just as big, or bigger than cdrecord is now.  (Plus we'd be stuck
with maintaining it.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry