Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:11:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, "'Jev'" <jev@ecad.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: java status and

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 08:07:09PM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 01:28:40AM +0930, Greg Lewis wrote:
> > Don't forget C++ as well :).  The current Sub distribution looks like:
>
> Right, for the HotSpot compiler itself.

Well, not just for HotSpot.  libfontmanager, for example, has some C++
source code :).

> > Nope.  The only thing kernel threads provide is the ability to utilise
> > multiple CPUs.  The JDK will work quite well with FreeBSD's userland
> > pthreads (we just have to finish this part of the porting).
>
> ...and dealing async IO events without the goofiness of the thread scheduler
> switching operations around within a process execution context.

True.

> > Wind River :).  You'll see Bill Huey (who is working on this) post to
> > the list periodically.
>
> I'm currently suck on Motif initialization stuff and X internals, but I know
> the specific place (X properties) where it is crashing. Hopefully, I'll be
> able to help with the FreeBSD port more directly after I get over this hump
> and catch up with the progress you folks are making. I lost about 3 month
> dorking around with ld.so issues. ;-)

Bad ld.so, no biscuit.

We're currently blocking on me importing the new Sun SCSL'ed distribution.
The new distribution is good though, as it gets us in closer sync with
the code Sun used to build the released binaries.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887