Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 13:41:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        richardc@csua.berkeley.edu, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Jim Shankland wrote:

> Steve <shovey@buffnet.net> writes:
>
> > Go with the cisco!  There is something just a bit off with
> > freebsd's tcp/ip.  I have a subgroup of users who get stalls,

<snip>

> I find this annoying.  I'm sure you were having problems, and that
> interposing a Cisco between your users and your FreeBSD servers
> made the problem go away; but realize that "something [being]
> just a bit off with FreeBSD's tcp/ip" is not the only, nor indeed
> the most likely, explanation of the things you observed.
>
> Did you make any effort to investigate the problem (e.g., packet
> traces)?  Did you report the problem?  Or did you just try
> something (interposing the Cisco) and find that the problem went
> away?  If so, fair enough; everybody's busy.  But then you can't
> draw conclusions about what was wrong in the first place.

I dont know the underlying low level of tcp/ip enough to run a packet
trace and interpret results.  I did report this on freebsd lists and the
usenet news group.  All I got was "BSD is the standard - you must be
crasy".

I could come to no other resolution than to put them on the other side of
a router.  The problem did not exist with all 'dialers in' - just a
subset, but a subset with no connecting features other than that they used
PPP.

I dont experience the problem with linux boxes or the SCO's (I have
both) - Just the freebsd's later than version 2.0 (it was not until 2.0.5
that the problem arose) with or without the extensions enabled.

I know that to get it fixed I would have to become a low level freebsd
tcp/ip expert, find and fix it myself at the source level.  I dont have
the time for that.  So it might annoy you, but I found it very annoying to
spend a week trouble shooting 3 web servers, and another week trouble
shooting an identicle problem with a news server, only because I had
switched to freebsd on them - and then could only resolve it by putting
them the other side of a cisco - because Im crasy and BSD is perfect.