Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2001 00:33:53 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen), dwalton@acm.org
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does Linux violate the GPL?

At 11:39 PM 12/23/2001, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

>P.S. You said in a previous post that the BSD license doesn't allow
>something.  I hope you've also noticed the BSD licensors allow almost
>anything.  I've never heard of even a polite request to stop
>infringment, let alone cease-and-desist letters and lawsuit threats.
>It seems to be understood by licensors and licensees alike as just a
>way to put code into the public domain with a declaimer of liability
>and request for attribution.

Actually, when AT&T sued Berkeley for releasing BSD, Berkeley
countersued, claiming that AT&T had violated the "advertising
clause" when incorporating parts of BSD into System V. The
result: the suit was quietly settled.

So, this was one case in which the few restrictions in the BSD
License came in handy.

--Brett