Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 19:06:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, Wes Peters <wes@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Dennis wrote:

> As for clean air...Im all for it. You might disagree with specific
> things being done, but if nothing were done 20 years ago you wouldnt
> be able to breath in LA at all. Same here in NY.

Yes, but look at the fact that for a fuel injected car with an oxygen
sensor (i.e. Lambada-Sond for many European cars), oxygenated fuel just
means that more fuel is burnt, creating more pollution.  Sure the exhaust
is marginally cleaner, but there's also going to be more of the "cleaner"
exhaust.

In the past twenty years, what has reduced the smog and other pollution
the most has been the equipment added to cars themselves (egr equipment,
catalytic converters, etc), and well the obviously beneficial elimination
of lead in our fuel supply.

MTBE causes more harm than good.  Sure the air in metropolitan areas (Bay
Area, LA, NY) is better than it was 20 or 30 years ago, but with the
creeping SUVitis, it's starting to get worse.  Sure the exhaust is
cleaner, but there's so much more of it that it is still overwhelming the
environment.

> As a staunch Republican I usually disagree with big tax government
> programs..but the gas tax is very reasonable in this country. Now if we
> could just do something about those union guys making 100K to put up
> signs.......does it really take 6 men to fill a pothole?

Sure, the gasoline tax isn't really all that bad (especially compared to
what it is in other countries).  The real problem lies with the oil
refineries managing to make record profits, still price gouge us, and
manage to endanger the lives of nearby residents and employees.  Tosco
manged to char broil four of its employees not too long ago, mainly
because of managerial neglence.

Also, when comparing the gasoline prices of America to those of other
countries, consider that the $1.55/gal gas (well the "cheap stuff")
would most likely not be doing too much good for a small high output
engine that requires high octane.

- alex