Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 06:49:18 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, webmaster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Technobabble homepage (Was: Ick!)

> I'd like to propose that we create an alternate homepage in
> addition. The new page should look like and could be treated like a
> sitemap and meet these requirements:

I think that 2nd level "hacker pages" are a fine idea but I wouldn't
want to see them presented as an alternate so much as something which
you'd point to from the support page.  No offense to Garrett intended,
but the web pages were never aimed at his class of user and never will
be - that's not their function, and any greater conformance with his
sensibilities they may have had in the past were the purely accidental
result of having too few people working on the web pages. :-)

> As a side note, I am not sure things were treated right when Stefan
> and Megan proposed new homepages. As I recall, both asked for
> comments, but megan went on and committed, while Stefan still
> waited. We have to make sure the Web site will not be changed on a
> fastest-commiter basis :-) I don't know any behind-the-scenes
> arrangements, so excuse me if this comment isn't in line.

This isn't how it happened.  We dithered around with Stefan's proposal
for awhile and he didn't seem to be modifying them in response to
feedback (in particular, I completely hated his layout style and said
so, but he never even responded), so that effort just kind of fizzled
out.  Later on, I decided that FreeBSD's pages just weren't consistent
with the kind of marketing push I wanted and needed to do this year
(and anybody who thinks marketing isn't important need only look to
Microsoft and wonder how such an inferior product took over the world
and made Gates richer than Croesus), so I _hired_ Megan to do this
make-over.  She committed her changes directly because that was what
she was being paid to do.  No "faster-committer" syndrome here. :)

In any case, If I were keeping score then the feedback ratio would be
99% overwhelmingly positive and 1% negative, so I'd say it wins by
popular acclaim if nothing else. :)

					Jordan