Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 20:10:14 -0300
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
Cc:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.us.freebsd.org

Somebody told me that jason andrade said:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:
>
> >     May I also sugest that we create ftp1.XX.freebsd.org, and that
> > ftp.XX.freebsd.org is just a round robin for all country's sites?
>
> this might work for some places, but overall it would not be a good
> idea - ftp.XX.freebsd.org should always be the `primary' (a tier-1
> if possible) for the country (aka ftp1.XX.freebsd.org).  if possible
> the other ftpX.XX.freebsd.org sites should try and (in order of preference)
> mirror from ftp1, a close tier-1, a close tier-2.
>
> in most countries, all the freebsd mirrors are NOT identical and in
> fact some have very different structures.  if you round robin you
> might find installations/end users have very different paths or content
> to deal with every time.

    In this case, I would let the country's hostmaster verify the
sites and decide which ftp sites are tier 1.  The only effective
change would be to add ftp1.XX to the sysisntall site list.  If the
hostmaster decides not to use round robin, just point ftp.XX to
ftp1.XX or anyone else.  Note that I did not say that every site in
the country would be automatically added to ftp.XX.FreeBSD.org.

    And the definition of "close tier 1" would be easier with the
proximity algoritm I described earlier.  How many FreeBSD users really
know which site is closer to them?  How to check this before
installing FreeBSD?  I know how to, but definitely, most users don't.

					Jonny

--
João Carlos Mendes Luís			jonny@jonny.eng.br
  Networking Engineer			jcml@ieee.org