Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 11:03:37 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Manny Obrey <manny8383@hotmail.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   hack.c in kernel

On Fri, 19 May 2000 17:35:34 PDT, "Manny Obrey" <manny8383@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I saw the following near the end of running  "make depend;make" during a
>kernel re-config ... seriously, is this something to be concerned about?
>cc -elf -shared -nostdlib hack.c -o hack.So

To expand somewhat on Kris's answer: hack.So is a dummy shared object
whose sole purpose is to make the linker mark the kernel as a
`dynamic', rather than `static' executable.  This allows it to use the
dynamic loader (ie load kernel modules at run time).  This is probably
an RTFM, but I'm not sure which FM to suggest you R.

Peter