Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:48:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Maartje van der Heide <maartje@simplex.nl>
To:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

Hello,

>Why do this? Germany just laid charges against Compuserve for distributing
>porn. Australia announced plans to target child porn and to ask OECD
>countries to join it. Canada's national police force has asked ISP's to

In the Netherlands since june 1995 the ISP's organized, we have The
Dutch foundation of Internet providers (NLIP). I think providers in
other countries should organize too. One of the most important goals
of the NLIP has been to inform the goverment about what Internet is
and what Internet is not. This has proven to be very successful,
there has been alot of influence on the goverment and journalists
knew where to go when they had questions, so the dutch people
were informed much better then before. The few laws that are made
for the internet here now are hardly restrictive for internet users
and ISP's , the goverment has (as far as I know) no intensions to make restrictive laws or put pressure upon ISP's.

One of the initiatives of the NLIP has been the 'Internet
Hotline against child pornography' .(http://www.xs4al.nl/~meldpunt)
This as well has had alot of positive effects and influence.

In the Netherlands now we're far better off as ISP's (and internet
community) then in quite alot of countries all over the world,
and informing the goverment, and the people, is one of the most
important things to do. Don't let them panic.
I've been wondering for some time how the get ISP's let themselves
organize in other countries, so decided to mail this on the list,
hope it'll have some positive effect.

Sorry if you find this mail too off-topic. (ban-ban ? :)

Btw does anyone have a nice solution to reset the machines
when they hang from behind the computer at home? I don't like
to bike up and down only to push a button, they crash too
often nowadays. I found something (relais or whatever it's
called) but the software is for Windows/DOS .

Maartje van der Heide
sysop Simplex
maartje@simplex.nl