Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:35:16 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail server recommendations?

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 01:01:41PM -0500, Mark Johnston wrote:
> "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> wrote:
> > I have to admit that I'm partial to sendmail simply for the milter
> > interface that lets me plug in, say, MIMEDefang, clamav, and all sorts
> > of other nifty stuff.
>
> I didn't consider sendmail for this project, mainly because I'd used postfix
> before and liked it.  The postfix interface for plugging in virus scanners
> and the like strikes me as rather clunky, though - it's just a bunch of SMTP
> daemons chained together.

I think I've read somewhere that milters limit the changes you can make
to the messages in some way.  It's probably not a big limit.  I like
the postfix approach because it is somewhat generic and flexible.  Why
invent a new protocol when SMTP will do it for you?  You can take a
postfix compatible content filter and sandwich it between any two MTA
instances.  They don't even have to be on the same machine.

I'm running postfix with amavisd-new doing both spamassassin and two
anti-virus programs (f-prot and clamav).

lambert@lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html