Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 2021 12:19:00 +0100
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Gerrit_K=c3=bchn?= <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-xfce@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: polkit not running after update

Well, the polkit port is maintained by desktop@, so you could write to
desktop@freebsd.prg too, that would at least widen your audience.

>> You could also try launching polkitd by hand as a user or as root and
>> see what it says It should also have a --debug flag.
>
> Turns out, it rather has a --no-debug flag. ;-)
> With debugging enabled I get the following:
>
> ---
> root@beastie:~ # /usr/local/lib/polkit-1/polkitd
> Successfully changed to user polkitd
> /usr/local/share/polkit-1/rules.d 11:52:18.901: Finished loading,
> compiling and executing 1 rules Entering main event loop
> Connected to the system bus
> 11:52:18.903: Lost the name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 - exiting
> Shutting down
> Exiting with code 0
> ---
>
> Searching about this, this looks like the communication with dbus is not
> working properly. This matches the error message I previously got from the
> other end (dbus) in /var/log/messages. Somehow the two processes fail to
> cumminucate with each other.

I'd take a look at the policyd and dbus policies in
/usr/local/etc/polkit-1 and /usr/local/etc/dbus-1. If something changed
there recently, do you have any customizations in those files?

Especially the file
/usr/local/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.conf, is it
unmodified from what the port installs? There should be a .sample file
you can try a diff from.

Since there is a .sample file, if in the past this one was modified from
any reason, upgrading or reinstalling the port would not update it.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>