Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 00:17:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: longer usernames

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, David Nugent wrote:

> And cvs log entries. There were a few other subtle changes that
> have leaked through since.
>
> FWIW, FreeBSD-current supports *15* character login names, not
> 16. In addition to the headers, there was a problem with the
> 'proc' struct in the kernel (setlogin(), I think) and a few
> userland changes involved as well where the size was assumed
> to be 8.

Would it be possible for someone to commit the changes where a length of 8
was assumed to 2.2? It shouldn't make any visible difference as long as
people keep the headers the same, right? It would just make it easier for
people to enable the long names if we didn't have to worry about finding
all the places where we have to replace 8 with MAXLOGNAME or
UT_NAMESIZE or whatever. Maybe even in the header files:
#ifdef LONG_USERNAMES
#define UT_NAMESIZE	16
#else
#define UT_NAMESIZE	8
#endif
etc...

Pretty please? :) Just think, then answering all of these questions would
be so much easier. :)

pbd

--
Why can't you be a non-conformist like everyone else?