Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:17:53 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I have a CD-rom!

> Well, I just shopped around Fry's today and found myself a PCCARD-based
> cdrom.  My laptop supplier just spent two months getting me *another*
> printer-port based unit!  I was pretty annoyed so I just bought the thing
> myself.

Hah.  This is what you get for not thinking ahead and buying a laptop
with one integrated.  People laugh at me for recommending this;
"they're so BIG and HEAVY", but when I slap a CD in and blast them out
of the room, or suck stuff off one to save the day, well, who's
laughing THEN? 8)

> As an aside, I can't get it to allocate a driver.  The PCCARD entry is
> straight out of the sample pccard list:

This usually means that pccardd is not matching what it gets back from
the card against the pccard.conf entry, or the resources requested by
the entry aren't available.

> # Adaptec SlimSCSI
> card "Adaptec, Inc." "APA-1460 SCSI Host "
> 	config  0x9 "aic0" 10
> 	insert  echo Adaptec Slim SCSI inserted
> 	remove  echo Adaptec Slim SCSI removed

As well as this, we'll need the 'pccardc dumpcis' output and the
resource declarations from the top of your /etc/pccard.conf file.  I
suspect that either the trailing space in your version string is wrong,
or that config index 0x9 requires resources you haven't made available.

> At the moment, it's the only card in the system, but IRQ 10 is also used
> by the modem.  I'm safe there -- it's one of those @#%^! x-jack modems so
> you can't have both plugged in very well at the same time. :-/

You can plug it in, you just can't use the (*&^%*&^% thing.  Talk about
a rectal irritation.

Also, you will need the PAO patches to the aic driver (at least) to get
this working under mainstream FreeBSD.  Let me know if you need help
with this.

mike