Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 16:24:34 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current)
Subject:   CVS munging RCS Id's (was Re: sup is fetching whole src tree)

> Perhaps on freefall CVS initial commit we (or cvs ?) should prepend a
> FreeBSD CVS stamp, & then prevent CVS from mangling second and subsequent
> revision strings

Rod originally had patches in CVS to do this, but there was a slight bug
in them which caused us all sorts of grief and Rod wasn't around to fix
them, so they were taken out.

Both NetBSD and the XFree86 folks do this now, and while I admit it's a
good idea it'd be a bit more difficult to do at this stage of the game
than when we first did the 2.0 CVS tree.

Nate