Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 09:17:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Original PC (was: talk (fwd))

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Josef Grosch wrote:

[snip]
> > > I think the reason they went with Intel instead of Motorola was
> > > Intel told them the chip was ready, and Motorola told them 6
> > > months. Intel lied and shipped late. Motorola shipped when they said
> > > they would but by that time they had missed their window.
> >
> > No, I don't believe that.  The 8086 had been out for years, and I'm
> > sure I saw 68Ks in 1980.
> >

> Well, I picked up this bit of urban legend when I worked at Motorola. Sour
> grapes I guess.

As I heard it, Motorola wouldn't allow second sourcing of its
chip.  Intel was hungry enough, at that time, to go for the idea.
Can you say AMD?  :)

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null
       Mail from netcom.com blocked until they stop relaying SPAM