Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 17:47:14 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Seyyed Hamid Reza Hashemi Golpayegani <hamid@morva.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Problem !

Seyyed Hamid Reza Hashemi Golpayegani wrote:

> I have installing FreeBSD 4.0 from CDROM and when the system comes up boot
> loader show me 3 choises :
> F1 Dos
> F2 FreeBSD
> F3 FreeBSD
>
> When I want to select 2 or 3 and press F2 and F3 it does not work only F1
> works .
> What is the problem ?

I'm certainly not an expert (this is freebsd-newbies after all), but I
know what I would look closer at. The second two entries are primary
partitions. The initial boot loader just knows what partitions are
available and what their types are. It then passes on control to the
next stage boot loader in the boot record of the chosen partition (BSD
has three boot loaders for the various stages of booting). If neither F2
or F3 boot, then the next boot loader is not there. I believe that this
is boot1. I also assume that it was probably meant to go on the second
partition F2.

You may have to reinstall all over again. But you might not have to go
all the way through. Don't repartition, just assign the same partitions
as you did before, install the boot loader, then exit the installation.
I suspect that somewhere in this area you made the wrong choice. Make
sure that the boot loader is installed to the boot sector of the root
partition, and make sure that this partition does not extend beyond the
1024th cylinder.

If all else fails, reinstall completely. Every unix expert you will ever
meet will have at one time or another botched something up and had to
reinstall.

David