Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 08:17:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        dashadow@tchnet.tchnet.com (John Hart)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getty's Locking Up?

> Has anyone heard of FreeBSD"s getty's locking up before?  I seem to be
> having a problem with them lately.  I am running a Boca Board with 12
> Boca modems installed, and every so often when you call in there will be
> no login, no banner, no anything.  I know the modems are locked, because
> not only do they answer, but they also cannot be fixed by restarting
> them.  Everytime this happens the only choice I have is to reboot the
> machine.  Anyone have any suggestions of where to start looking?
>
> John

On a hunch, try this:

Next lockup, go into /etc/ttys.  Change state on all BB ports to "off"
(if you put the cursor on the first entry, you can do:)

:.,.+15s/on$/off/

Write the file, control-Z, kill -HUP 1, fg, undo, write and exit, kill -HUP 1

If it suddenly starts working, you are having the same interrupt problem I
am.  :-/  It has nothing to do with the modems.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968