Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:51:56 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First test of GPL in court

"Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> But many will agree, or at least greatly fear that others will agree,
> that BSD type licenses are not the basis of a contract.  That was one
> reason the nice Python license was replaced by a monstrosity (which
> still lacks obvious consideration). It does mention an "ACCEPT button".

You have to wonder if the "hold harmless" constitutes
consideration...

[ Torte/tort ]

> Well, there's a law on almost every thing else, why not on "a kind of
> rich layer cake made with many eggs and little flour and usually
> containing chopped nuts"?  Ya learn somethin' every day.

Yeah, yeah, I'm dyslexic and have problems with silent "e"
when I'm typing fast.  You should see it when I use whole
wrong words.

> Unless that was a typo for Tort Law, law about "Any wrongful act,
> damage, or injury done willfully, negligently, or in circumstances
> involving strict liability, but not involving breach of contract, for
> which a civil suit can be brought" (ie, under Contract Law).
>
> I think the concept is that you'll damage me if you withdraw your
> non-contract license from me after I've become dependent on it and/or
> invested lots of money or effort based on having the license.

I love that Intellectual Property is being treated more
and more as if it were real property.  Gives people a nice
chance to establish a proscriptive lien through adverse
use by copying a CDROM, and the company not coming to their
home and enforcing against the adverse use, after which
the people have "established an interest".  Like when I
park in front of your house for 20 years, and you have to
let me park in front of your house forever after.

> Black's costs $.  How about this from "Bouvier 1856"?
>
>     A bare license ... being without consideration, may be revoked at
>     pleasure, as long as it remains executory; 39 Hen. VI. M. 12, page
>     7; but when carried into effect, either partially or altogether, it
>     can only be rescinded, if in its nature it will admit of revocation,
>     by placing the other side in the same situation in which he stood
>     before he entered on its execution. 8 East, R. 308; Palm. 71;
>     S. C. Poph. 151; S. C. 2 Roll. Rep. 143, 152."

This is interesting.  This could be interpreted as
saying that revocation was not possible after the
preparation of derivative works.

-- Terry