Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 17:15:33 +0000
From:      Christopher Raven <c.raven@ukonline.co.uk>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        Kirk Fort <kirk@patrohn.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD finances

Jason C. Wells wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Kirk Fort wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Is there any place online where I could find information or a financial
> >report for the freeBSD project.  Just roughly how much $ goes into the
> >project and where the $ is spent.  Is the FreeBSD project a non-profit
> >organization or is it incorporated or what?
>
> FreeBSD, Inc is well... incorporated. It is not a non-profit. I doubt the
> information you seek is readily available but I think someone who knows
> wouldn't mind sharing financial info with the public.
>
> Catchya Later,          |       UW Mechanical Engineering
> Jason Wells             |       http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/

I believe its been stated sometime previous, and by someone whose name
escapes, that FreeBSD is simply incorporated for tax purposes and to
protect its "rights". As for being non-profit, it is hard to imagine
an organisation that gives its products away ever running at a
*profit*. Breaking even maybe on its expenses (hardware, maintenance,
etc., etc.,). Then again.....

That's just my own 2 cents worth.

--
Christopher Raven