Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:21:48 +1100 (EST)
From:      Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spam issue

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:47:36, Todd <todd@vyrus.net> wrote:
> Recently a friend of mine started receiving a lot of bounced messages to
> his root mail acct on a FreeBSD 4.1 machine that he has. It looks as
> though someone is using him as a spam relay. He is running Sendmail ver
> 8.11 and has relay denied. According to the times indicated on the

Is it actually spam or the new trend spammers have started using, namely
randomly picking addresses from their spam lists to install as From:
addresses.

I received a bunch of bounces 3 or so weeks back which had my email address
as the sender on pieces of clear spam. My first thought was my server had
been used as a relay as well but the headers of the original mail (in the
bounce) made it clear it had never passed with 1 continent of my system. Also
evidence. In fact as far as I could tell only non-cooperative MTAs were
actually sending bounces to me (notably yahoo mail).

Might be worth checking if this is what you're seeing...

Enno.