Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:17:32 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@forumone.com>, vladimir-scsi@math.uic.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with adaptec 2940 cards on 3.3-STABLE

--==_Exmh_2141367918P

If memory serves me right, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 10:11 PM -0400 1999/9/28, Alok K. Dhir wrote:
>
> > I'd suspect the external SCSI cable if disconnecting it (and presumably
> > enabling termination on the card) fixed the problem...  I wouldn't rule
> > out cables just because you have 2 machines with the same hardware...
>
> 	I wouldn't be surprised if the cables were marginally okay for UW
> use, but fail miserably for U2W LVD use.  They may not even be
> differential SCSI cables, and in that case I would expect major
> problems in trying to use them with U2W LVD drives.

It's not clear whether this post is applicable or not to this
situation, but...

A lesson I learned last week is to check the connectors for bent pins.
I had a 2940U2W that I was convinced was broken, until one of my
cow-orkers checked the connectors and found a bent pin.  I wasted about
a half a day because it didn't dawn upon me to check for this failure
mode.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_2141367918P

--==_Exmh_2141367918P--