Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:34:23 -0500
From:      "N.B. DelMore" <mylists@inr.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple IP addresses

Just a couple of questions concerning multiple IP's.   In searching through
the archives I've seen references to binding the addresses to the NIC as
well as the loopback, which is the proper method?

The scenario I have setup is as follows, the server (xl0) has been assigned
the IP address of yyy.yyy.yyy.8 and the I route an entire Class C to that
interface in the router, e.g.
ip route xxx.xxx.xxx.0 255.255.255.0 yyy.yyy.yyy.8

I then added an entry in /etc/rc.local to run the following shell script:

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/ifconfig lo0 xxx.xxx.xxx.0 netmask 0xffffff00 alias
/sbin/ifconfig lo0 xxx.xxx.xxx.1 netmask 0xffffffff alias
/sbin/ifconfig lo0 xxx.xxx>xxx.2 netmask 0xffffffff alias

through

/sbin/ifconfig lo0 198.77.215.255 netmask 0xffffffff alias

According to the feedback I recently received from Eric Futch
<efutch@nyct.net>, who was kind enough to respond privately to clarify his
recent post, this (same) script if named /etc/start_if.lo0 will be run
auto-magically on boot by rc.network.

To recap, my questions are, which interface should be used to bind the ip's
to and is it acceptable to bind .0 and .255 to the interface although by
convention they shouldn't be used for anything.

You feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Noel