Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 20:46:00 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
From:      Fredrik Olausson <fredrik@speechcraft.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > However, Apple isn't really a part of the open-source community, and it is
>
> Really?  I know a lot of Darwin / OpenPlay / NetSprocket / CDSA folks
> who would vehemently disagree with you there!  See publicsource.apple.com
> and also the Apple Public Source License (APSL).

I meant the're not a part of the Slashdot in-crowd :)

> The KDE and Gnome projects were started by the latter sorts of people
> and, as far as I can see, the former group are like a garnish -
> they're highly visible but they don't actually affect the outcome of
> things either way.  Without people actually diving in and addressing
> the issues in a far more tangible way, you just get a lot of anguished
> handwaving for months and months but nothing else.  Which category
> do you fall into? :-)

*ouch* that hurt ;) I would like to think I'm part of the first crowd, I'm
writing on a Qt based strategy game which hopefully will be finished
before the next turn of the century. Well, it's not so much a game as a
framework for developing games, the idea being that people who are better
than me at doing graphics and sounds and stuff build their own games on
top of the engine and just use the engine's network play capabilities and
AI (the engine allows for any number of human or computer players). All
aspects of the game can be changed from the campaign building
tool. Anyhow, it's going to be really cool - look out for an announcement
in bright lights and neon regarding this revolution in computer games,
inventively named "tbs", for "turn based strategy".

Seriously, though, you are of course right. It is better to actually do
something about the situation than to whine about it, but I feel that's
the problem. The attitude isn't "Oh, we don't have 'world domination', so
lets work harder" it is "well, the desktop is pretty lost, lets
concentrate on what we do best, ie servers". It is apathy!

-Fredrik