Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 2004 06:48:28 -0800
From:      Chris Doherty <chris-freebsd@randomcamel.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade script.

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 10:39:02AM +0000, Yann Golanski said:
> Would people be kind enough to have a look at the following script and
> tell me what horrors/faux pas/stupid things I have done?
>
> The script is an almost automated way to upgrade all your ports to the
> latest version.

I tried a similar sort of thing, to save time on my poor little 366MHz
laptop: I already had a script to do the cvsup and pkg_version, so I
thought I'd speed things up by going through that list and doing a
portupgrade -Rr on each out-of-date port, rather than the more
CPU/disk-intensive portupgrade -Rra. for lack of a better phrase, this
made portupgrade get all funky on me sometimes: I'd find that ports
weren't upgraded, or were upgraded incompletely, or that sometimes ports
would be magically deinstalled despite their still being required.

so you can give it a shot, but I've stuck with using portupgrade -Rra, or
manually doing portupgrade -Rr on the specific ports I want, and I haven't
had any problems (well, it was occasionally installing sgmlformat or
docbook without anything that required it, but that seems to have died
down).

chris

Chris Doherty

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat
all our provisions now, so we won't have so much to carry."
               -- A. A. Milne